9/11/11

A Little More Info On Me


In my dreams I am always flying.

I grew up in Crabtree Holler on the Stanley Branch side in the mountains of Clintwood, VA. Not a day goes by that I don't miss the mountains.

When I was 8 I decided to punch my left hand through the window of the back door while trying to get into the house. I had to get 6 stitches, and a large scar still remains. But it was worth it, because the neighbor boy - Andy Collins - that I had a HUGE crush on - came over and assisted in my rescue.

When I was younger I loved collecting slugs, worms, water dogs, snails and pretty much anything low to the ground that I could catch.

I hit four deer in one year with the same car.

I love shuckey beans, fried chicken livers, dry land fish, poke salad, white cornbread and sweet tea.

I know the correct pronunciation of Appalachia.

On February 17, 2009, I broke both bones in my right forearm.

My momma had a canning closet in her kitchen. I would climb up in there and spend hours making crafts. I called it my cubby hole.

Nothing makes my heart melt more than - after pulling into my parents' driveway - hearing my Dad exclaim, "THERE'S SHELLBUCK!! How's daddy's baby girl doing??" and him giving me a great big hug.

I have almost died several times while on adventures with my brother.

I have several nicknames - Shellbuck and Boone are the most popular and were given to me by my family.

In 6th grade I went to a girl scout camp called Camp Sky-Wa-Mo (stands for sky - water - mountain) with my friends - Maria, Christina and Alicia. We were wild. We ripped it up. Maria and I were the ring leaders. As a result we had to clean dishes and toilets almost every day.

I have been a sailor for 8 years now. I own a 12.5 foot Barnett Butterfly that my brother and I have sailed many times in Lake Michigan. And, yes, I almost died.

ALL my close friends know how laid back I am. For some reason I can't convince my co-workers of this.

I have never been tested but I am certain - on some level - I have A.D.D.

I hate decorating.

My favorite flower is a ranunculus.

My dad was an electrician in the underground coal mines of Virginia for 15 years.

Both of my parents went to college in their 40s and earned their degrees.

Socializing is my pastime. I surround myself with people I admire and respect. I think I can learn something from every person I meet.

When attempting something semi-dangerous, I never freak out in the moment. Afterward I have flash backs and sometimes need to breath in the bag from anxiety - JK

My older sister is a pretty amazing person. I know when she wants to give me unsolicited advice. She will cross her arms, slightly purse her lips and the famous raising of the eyebrow occurs. The conversation after these actions usually goes something like this -

Me - "What??? Should I have not done that???"

Melissa - "Well, I'm not saying that. You should probably just think before you do it again."

I love people.

No comments:

Post a Comment